Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Nothing Left To Lose

Please watch this video.
Ever since 8th grade, when I went on a mission trip to Mississippi after Katrina had hit, I have had this longing to go on another mission trip.
Throughout high school, I kept seeing pamphlets and announcements for mission trips. But I had a problem; it was all really cool, and I definitely wanted to go on it, but I didn't think I could. It was just too far fetched of an idea for little ol' me.
After I graduated, I learned a lot about life in general, but also a lot about myself. I finally realized that the only thing stopping me from going on one of these mission trips...was myself.
It wasn't until last year when I realized that I really could go on one of these trips. I stopped making up excuses as to why I couldn't, and took a step in the direction of growing up and making sense of the fact that I had the choice to choose whether or not I went.

For some reason - the only explanation I have for it is that God planted this seed in my heart - I have always been attracted to the idea of going to Uganda.
It started with Invisible Children, then spanned to Krochet Kids, and now PMI [Palmetto Medical Initiative].
Krochet Kids & PMI [along with Seer Outfitters, an organization based in Chicago - actually based off of the Kyle Korver Foundation] have made it to my list of favorite organizations. Their purpose and vision is something I agree with and stand beside proudly.
Last year, I saw NEEDTOBREATHE twice in one weekend. Holy crap. That's literally all I can come up with to explain it....It was beyond awesome.
Anyway...NTB paired up with PMI and Bo designed a shirt that they were selling at the shows. Of course I got it. It's really awesome too, by the way. Go buy one at PMI's site.
Ok, I'm done with the advertising...haha.
So, yea. They paired up with PMI and Bear was talking a bit about it at the shows, and then I was fortunate enough to talk to him about it after the last show. It was incredible. He told me about what they did and how I could get more involved. NEEDTOBREATHE is actually hosting a golf tournament next month to raise money for PMI. I would totally go if I had money and didn't suck at golf.
After that show, I went home and started researching PMI. Everything I saw was definitely drawing me further in.
Then I got to the testimonies.
I did not think that they would impact me as much as they did.
It's so weird how God works sometimes....I mean... the things I was reading related to what I had been hearing in church for weeks. I would listen to music [mostly NTB. I was still on a high from the concerts] and hear the same message being conveyed to me:
Open your eyes, and keep them open. 
So many times, like in high school, I would see something I felt pretty strongly about, but then I'd close me eyes to it, and I would start to ignore it because I didn't think I was capable of doing something so huge and so awesome.
But why am I closing my eyes when I'm supposed to keep them open?

There is a medical mission trip with PMI going to Uganda in August. When I first saw it, I thought it was absolutely perfect timing and totally meant to happen.
I still think it's perfect, but I'm thinking it will have to happen next year just because of a lot of stuff [school, internships, money].
I'm not saying ,"that'd be cool, but I can't". Don't worry. I'm saying I think God wants me to go, but it'll have to wait a bit longer.
I do feel, however, that next year, after I graduate from college, probably the August trip, I will be going to Uganda with PMI.
God wouldn't have placed this so deeply in my heart if He didn't want it to happen.
At this point, I've got nothing left to lose and everything to give.

Uganda, I'm coming for you.

No comments: